by วุฒิสาร ตันไชย
Development of the industrial sector in Thailand has various direct affect to the Map Ta Pud Municipality, the location of a large industrial estate. The Map Ta Pud Municipality is a local government administration responsible for management of local issues. However, as a local municipality, govern by the Municipal Act B.C. 2496 (and its revisions) and the Organization and Administration Act and Amendment Act B.C. 2542, it has many limitations for its operations in such a special circumstance. The issues range from management flexibility, resource and income limitations to various authority being responsible by other government agencies. The effect is that the Map Ta Pud Municipality cannot effectively and efficiently manage the local area. Hence, the government body has assigned the Thammasat University Research and Consultancy Institute to conduct a research on the appropriate form of governance for the Map Ta Pud area as a Special Form of Local Government. The objective for the study is as follows.
5) To study the potential and direction of development for the Map Ta Pud area
6) To study issues and limitations of current local administrative form of the Map Ta Pud Municipality
7) To study the appropriate form of government for the area as a Special Form of Local Government
8) To draft the Constitutional Act and Regulation for Map Ta Pud governance as a Special Form of Local Government
The research group conducts the study through literature review, indebt interview, focus groups, and questionnaires to aggregate data on the issues of the Map Ta Pud Municipality as well as the current status of Map Ta Pud management by the Municipality. The data is used to form a proposal to elevate the Map Ta Pud Municipality to the Special Form of Local Government.
From the study, it is found that the Map Ta Pud Municipality faces many challenges from the industrial development, consisting of problems in environmental and natural resource, local residential quality of life, infrastructure and public amenities. The area also suffers from risks in chemical fallout, industrial hazards and conflicts between the industrial sector and local population. At the same time, the Map Ta Pud Municipality itself also has limitations in its internal operations, such as development and control of local industrial sector, promotion of environment and waste control, citizen quality of life, infrastructure and prevention and mitigation of public hazards.
From the issues above, combined with the reality of the area at present, the research group proposes to elevate the governance to a Special Form of Local Government as an industrial ecosystem. Also to successfully drive the area forward, the region must possess strategic capacity to solve complex issues within the region. Important roles that must be played by the newly formed local government consists of the following.
(1) Act as an independent central agency in public management
(2) Act as a decision making and problem solving mechanism for issues within the area
(3) Act as a coordinating body for other agencies
The research group proposes a vision for the development of the Map Ta Pud towards a Map Ta Pud Special City, “Industrial City creating wealth by prioritizing its citizens and environment.” There are six strategies for the city’s development as follows.
(7) Regulate, promote, and develop environmental friendly industrial activities that is safe for local population
(8) Elevate the capacity towards an pilot industrial city in pollution control
(9) Develop basic infrastructure and local amenities that is balanced with the growth rate of the city
(10) Develop the quality of life of its citizen towards a happy city
(11) Move towards a safe city with high capacity for management of disasters and public hazards
(12) Promote the economy of the city through development of income streams and vocational training towards a wealthy city
At the same time, the research group also propose a managerial structure for the Special City of Map Ta Pud in three pillars, the executive branch from election by the local population similar to other local administration in Thailand, the legislative branch consisting of 24 representatives similar to Municipalities, and the Strategic Supervisory Committee for supervision and recommendation of the operational process according to the six strategies of the city.
For the proposal relating to the income of the Map Ta Pud Special City, the group proposes for improvement of income through two points. One is through raising the income within the existing income structure such as changing the tax rate from the government and ratio of various subsidies. Second is through the local environment with the goal of regulating the usage of the surrounding natural resource. The tax on the environment is considered to be a new tax specifically for the management of the Map Ta Pud Special City.
|เอกสารฉบับนี้สงวนสิทธิ์โดยสำนักงานศูนย์วิจัยและให้คำปรึกษาแห่งมหาวิทยาลัยธรรมศาสตร์ ห้ามทำซ้ำ คัดลอก หรือนำไปเผยแพร่ตัดต่อโดยมิได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษร
This item appears in the following Collection(s)